Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure that has been gaining popularity in recent years. Labia surgery, including labia minora / majora reduction and labia majora fat grafting are becoming more and more common each year. A variety of causes including genetic factors, hormones, irritation, or inflammation, can leave women with large or irregular labia.
For many women, this might be unacceptable from an aesthetic standpoint, or it may interfere with personal hygiene, physical activity, or sexual activity. Reduction labiaplasty permits the reduction of large labia (labia minora or labia majora) to reduce their outward appearance and correct misshapenness or irregularities. ThermiVa non-surgical feminine rejuvenation offers a safe, effective non-surgical alternative for women who have mild to moderate sagging in the genital tissues.
What is involved in labiaplasty surgery?
Although this procedure is sometimes referred to as vaginal rejuvenation, labiaplasty does not change the size of the vaginal opening. At times, the outer labia or labia majora can be enhanced with fat grafting to return fullness to this area. Labiaplasty is a procedure that will allow you to return home the same day. During the procedure a laser is used to remove excess tissue. Next the skin is re-contoured with absorbable stitches so there is no need for stitch removal.
A diplomate of the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. Pancholi is experienced in all aspects of labiaplasty. In a personal consultation, he will help you understand what unique circumstances your body presents and what can help achieve your best result.
Recovering from Labiaplasty (Labia Reduction Surgery)
After surgery, you may experience mild discomfort and swelling. This improves over the next 4-5 days. Labial incisions usually heal well and are rarely noticeable. You will be seen back in Dr. Pancholi’s office the following day. The sanitary pad that is placed after surgery may be changed as necessary with new sanitary pads. We recommend that you continue using sanitary pads in this area to keep clothing from rubbing against the stitches while the tissues heal. As with any operation there are certain risks. The most common risks include bleeding, infection and scarring. Although infrequent, there is always a possibility they can occur. To help minimize these risks we suggest the following:
- For the first 3 days apply cool packs to your incisions (Frozen peas in a Ziploc bag or crushed ice in a cloth towel).
- During the first 2 weeks, limit your activity level, be careful sitting down and standing up, and keep your incision areas well lubricated with antibiotic ointment.
- During the first 3 weeks, limit activities that raise your heart rate or blood pressure including exercise, sex and heavy lifting. Also, it is strongly recommended that you do not use tampons or wear a thong or g-string underwear.
- Typically, you can return to work 3 to 4 days after surgery depending on the physical demands of your job.
If you are bothered by mild to moderate laxity in vaginal tissues and labia, you may be a good candidate for ThermiVA, a new, non-surgical treatment by THERMI that uses controlled heat to tone and tighten the internal and external genital tissues.
ThermiVa takes 15 minutes to perform, treatment is painless, and most patients notice an immediate improvement in vaginal tone and tightness, which only gets better with follow-up treatments (we typically recommend a series of 2 to 3 treatments for optimal results). No downtime is required—you can even have sex that evening.
ThermiVa can alleviate uncomfortable or embarrassing situations, improving your self-confidence and quality of life. Specifically, ThermiVa can help:
- Reduce stress urinary incontinence (you pee when you cough, sneeze or exercise)
- Improve natural lubrication and alleviate vaginal dryness
- Enhance comfort and sensation during sexual intercourse
- Improve comfort and confidence when wearing swimsuits or tighter clothing
- Cosmetically improve the labia and vagina
Schedule a Complimentary Personal Consultation
If you would like to discuss your options for feminine rejuvenation, we invite you to contact us for a free consultation with Dr. Pancholi. We understand that this is a sensitive matter for a lot of women, and our friendly staff will assist you with any questions you may have.